Over 60% of Pay-TV Subscribers have a DVR
Durham, NH -- January 2, 2015 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 76% of US households have a DVR, subscribe to Netflix, or use on-Demand (VOD) from a cable or Telco provider -- with 26% of households using two of the services, and 11% using all three.
The survey also found that 62% of US households that subscribe to a pay-TV service have a DVR (up from 41% five years ago), while 1% of pay-TV non-subscribers have a DVR. In addition, 55% of households with a DVR now have DVR service on more than one TV set, up from 28% five years ago.
These findings are based on a telephone survey of 1,230 households throughout the United States, and are part of LRG's study, On-Demand TV 2014: A Nationwide Study on VOD and DVRs. This is LRG's thirteenth annual study of this topic.
Other related findings include:
- 66% of households with annual household incomes >$75,000 have a DVR -- compared to 33% with incomes <$30,000
- 25% of current non-DVR households previously had a DVR at home
- 59% of all cable subscribers have ever used VOD -- compared to 46% in 2009, and 10% in 2004
- 63% of digital cable subscribers, and 58% of Telco video subscribers, used on-Demand in the past month
- 36% of pay-TV subscribers get Netflix -- compared to 48% of non-subscribers
- 36% of Netflix subscribers stream video daily, and 72% weekly -- up from 10% daily, and 43% weekly in 2010
- 32% of pay-TV subscribers with Netflix stream Netflix daily -- compared to 53% of non-subscribers with Netflix
- Last year, 70% of households had a DVR, or Netflix, or used on-Demand
"This is LRG's thirteenth annual study on on-Demand TV. While VOD and DVRs were relatively nascent when this series of studies began, they are now core components of pay-TV packages" said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Along with Netflix and other over-the-top offerings, these on-Demand TV services have permanently changed the options of how people may choose to watch TV."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
On-Demand TV 2014: A Nationwide Study on VOD and DVRs is based on a telephone survey of 1,233 adults age 18+ (including 180 cell phone calls) from throughout the continental US in households with a TV set. The survey was conducted in November, 2014. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.8%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).