Durham, NH -- February 5, 2016 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 81% of US households have a DVR, get Netflix, or use on-Demand (VOD) from a cable or Telco provider -- with 30% of households using two of the services, and 13% using all three.
The survey also found that 57% of households get a subscription video on-Demand (SVOD) service from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu. Overall, 48% of adults stream any of these services on a monthly basis.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,214 households throughout the United States, and are part of LRG's study, On-Demand TV XIV. This is LRG's fourteenth annual study on this topic.
Other related findings include:
- 77% of ages 18-24 stream an SVOD service monthly -- compared to 63% of ages 25-44, 50% of ages 45-54, and 23% of ages 55+
- 37% of all adults stream Netflix weekly -- compared to 8% in 2010
- 83% of Netflix streaming users watch Netflix on a TV set
- 64% of pay-TV subscribers have a DVR -- compared to 45% in 2010
- 65% of households with annual incomes >$75,000 have a DVR -- compared to 35% with household incomes <$30,000
- 74% of all Telco video subscribers and 61% of all cable subscribers have ever used VOD from their current provider
- 51% of all cable subscribers used VOD in the past month -- compared to 34% in 2010
- Last year, 76% of households had a DVR, or Netflix, or used VOD -- compared to 70% two years ago
"In 2005, 25% of cable subscribers had ever used VOD, 8% of all households had a DVR, and about 4% of households subscribed to Netflix's DVD-by-mail movie delivery service. These services have significantly evolved over the past decade," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Today, over 80% of households get at least one of these services, and in recent years Netflix and other streaming SVOD offerings have expanded the use and popularity of on-Demand TV."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
On-Demand TV XIV is based on a survey of 1,214 adults ages 18+ from throughout the continental US in households with a TV set. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The telephone survey (including landline and cell phone calls) was conducted in December 2015. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.8%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).