A Record Year for High-Speed Internet
33.2 Million Subscribe to Broadband From Top Cable and DSL Providers
Durham, NH – March 2, 2005 – Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the twenty largest cable and DSL providers in the US – representing about 95% of the market – achieved record net high-speed Internet additions in 2004. Combined net additions for the year totaled over 8.6 million subscribers – a total that exceeded the previous record set in 2003 by nearly 1.2 million subscribers.
Other key findings include:
- As of the end of 2004, the top broadband providers accounted for over 33.2 million high-speed Internet subscribers
- The top cable broadband providers now have a 60% share of the overall market versus DSL and account for nearly 19.9 million high-speed Internet subscribers compared to over 13.3 million for DSL
- The top cable broadband providers retain a 6.6 million subscriber advantage over DSL and have a 61% share of the total market versus DSL
- The top cable companies netted 51% of the broadband additions in 2004, with cable adding nearly 4.4 million broadband Internet subscribers compared to over 4.2 million added by the major DSL providers over the same time period
- DSL net additions in 2004 were over 43% higher than the previous record in 2003
- The fourth quarter of 2004 was the best quarter ever for DSL providers, with DSL adding nearly 1.16 million net additional subscribers, capturing 52% of the net 2.25 million high-speed Internet additions for the quarter
“2004 was the first full year when the major DSL providers were serious about the high-speed Internet business, and the emergence of DSL helped to produce a record setting year for broadband additions in the United States” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “Yet despite significant advances made by DSL providers, cable operators still added virtually the same number of high-speed Internet subscribers in 2004 as in 2003, and achieved 51% of the net additions for the year.”
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
|Broadband Internet Provider
||Subscribers at End of Q4 2004
||Net Adds in 2004
|Bright House Networks*
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top DSL
* Cox, Bright House Networks and RCN subscriber counts are estimates
** Adelphia subscriber counts do not include properties owned by the Rigas family
Top cable and DSL providers represent approximately 95% of all subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households.
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
© Copyright 2005. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.
Site designed and maintained by