3 MILLION ADDED BROADBAND FROM TOP PROVIDERS IN 2014
Net Broadband Adds were Greater than a Year Ago
Durham, NH -- March 5, 2015 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 94% of the market -- acquired 3 million net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 2014. Annual net broadband additions in 2014 were 114% of the total in 2013.
These top broadband providers now account for 87.3 million subscribers -- with cable companies having 51.9 million broadband subscribers, and telephone companies having 35.4 million subscribers.
Other key findings include:
- The top cable companies netted 89% of the broadband additions in 2014 -- compared to 82% of the broadband additions in 2013
- The top cable companies added 2.65 million broadband subscribers in 2014 -- 123% of the total net additions for the top cable companies in 2013
- The top telephone companies added about 345,000 subscribers -- 72% of the total net additions for the top telephone companies in 2013
- AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS broadband subscribers now account for 53% of Telco broadband subscribers -- up from 37% at the end of 2012
- The top cable companies had 2.3 million more net additions than phone companies in 2014 -- compared to 1.7 million more net adds in 2013
"At the end of 2014, the top cable and Telco broadband providers in the US cumulatively had over 87.3 million subscribers, adding 3 million subscribers in the past year," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "While about four of every five US households now get broadband at home, there were more broadband net additions in 2014 than in 2013. This was the first year-over-year increase in broadband net adds since 2006 over 2005."
||Subscribers at End
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Cable Companies*
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Phone
|Total Top Providers
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Includes LRG estimates for Cox and Bright House Networks
^ LRG estimates of pro forma results from system sale, does not include wireless subs
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 94% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2015. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.