5.4 Million Added Broadband from Top Cable and Telephone Companies in 2008
67.7 Million Get Broadband from Top Cable and Telephone Companies
Durham, NH March 6, 2009 Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the twenty largest cable and telephone providers in the US representing about 94% of the market acquired over 5.4 million net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 2008. Annual net broadband additions were down compared to the 8.5 million in 2007, and the peak of 10.4 million in 2006, and were the fewest in the seven years that LRG has tracked the broadband industry.
The top broadband providers now account for nearly 67.7 million subscribers with cable companies having 36.9 million broadband subscribers, and telephone companies having 30.7 million subscribers.
Other key findings include:
- Total net broadband additions in 2008 were 63% of the total in 2007
- The top cable companies added 3.2 million broadband subscribers in 2008 77% of the total net additions for the top cable companies in 2007
- The top telephone providers added 2.2 million broadband subscribers in 2008 50% of the total net additions for the top telephone companies in 2007
- The top cable companies netted 59% of the broadband additions in 2008
- In the fourth quarter of 2008, cable and telephone providers added over 1 million broadband subscribers with telephone companies adding about 570,000 subscribers and cable companies adding about 460,000 subscribers in the quarter
The total number of broadband subscribers in the US doubled in the past four years, growing to nearly 68 million at the end of 2008, said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. With increased market penetration, growth inevitably had to slow, but there was still room for 5.4 million more broadband subscribers in 2008.
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
|Broadband Internet Provider
||Subscribers at End of 4Q 2008
||Net Adds in 2008
|Other Major Private Cable Companies**
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telephone Companies
* LRG estimate
** Includes LRG estimates for BrightHouse Networks, and Suddenlink
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 94% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
© Copyright 2009. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.
Site designed and maintained by