THE MAJORITY OF TV SETS USED IN U.S. HOUSEHOLDS ARE NOW HDTVs
4K Ultra HDTV in Early Stages of Development
Durham, NH -- March 7, 2014 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 77% of households in the United States have at least one high definition television (HDTV) set, and about 46% of all households have multiple HDTVs. Five years ago, 34% of US households had at least one HDTV, and 11% of households had more than one HDTV.
About 72% of TV sets used in HD households are HDTVs. Including non-HDTV households, 59% of all television sets used in US households are HDTVs -- up from 34% in 2010, 18% in 2008, and 3% in 2004.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,231 households throughout the United States, and are part of a new LRG study, HDTV XI. This is LRG's eleventh annual study related to HDTV.
Other findings include:
Other related findings include:
- 88% with annual household incomes over $50,000 have an HDTV -- compared to 68% with household incomes under $50,000
- Among those getting HD programming from a cable, satellite, or Telco provider, the perceived mean number of channels of HD programming is 82 -- up from 42 five years ago
- 30% of adults have heard of 4K Ultra HDTV, and about one-third of this group has seen a 4K Ultra HDTV
- 28% of those who have seen a 4K Ultra HDTV are very interested in getting it, while 15% of all who have heard of 4K HDTV are very interested in getting it
- 14% of households have a Smart TV set that is connected to the Internet, including 3% of households that have more than one connected Smart TV set -- connected Smart TVs account for about 7% of all television sets used in US households
- 22% of all households purchased a TV set in the past 12 months -- an annual level that has been fairly consistent for the past decade
"At the same time that consumers are acquiring an increasing number of devices that allow them to watch video anywhere and anytime, television sets in the home are getting bigger and better," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Nearly 60% of TV sets used in US households are now HD sets, up from less than 20% just five years ago."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
HDTV XI is based on a telephone survey of 1,231 adults age 18+ (including 150 cell phone calls) from throughout the continental US that was conducted in January, 2014. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.8%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).