3.1 MILLION ADDED BROADBAND FROM TOP PROVIDERS IN 2015
Net Broadband Adds were the Most in any Year Since 2010
Durham, NH -- March 11, 2016 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 94% of the market -- acquired more than 3.1 million net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 2015. Annual net broadband additions in 2015 were 104% of the total in 2014, and the most net adds in any year since 2010.
Other broadband findings include:
- The top cable companies netted 106% of the broadband additions in 2015 -- compared to 89% in 2014, and 82% in 2013
- The top cable companies added 3.3 million broadband subscribers in 2015 -- 124% of the total net additions for the top cable companies in 2014, and the most net adds for cable in any year since 2008
- The top telephone companies lost about 185,000 subscribers in 2015 -- the first year ever for net Telco broadband subscriber losses
- AT&T and Verizon added 1,481,000 subscribers via U-verse and FiOS in 2015, while having a net loss of 1,708,000 DSL subscribers
- In 4Q 2015, the top broadband providers added about 950,000 subscribers -- compared to about 765,000 in 4Q 2014
- The top cable companies added about 1,000,000 subscribers in 4Q 2015, while Telcos lost about 50,000 subscribers
- Cable broadband adds in 4Q 2015 were similar to 1Q 2015, with the previous high being in 1Q 2008
"The top cable and Telco broadband providers in the US cumulatively now account for nearly 90.5 million subscribers in the US, yet the industry added more broadband subscribers in 2015 than in any year since 2010," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "The number of broadband subscribers in the US continues to increase, with the top broadband providers adding more than 6.1 million net broadband subscribers over the past two years, and cable companies accounting for 97% of these net adds."
||Subscribers at End
|Net Adds in
|Time Warner Cable
|Other Major Private Cable Companies*
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telephone Companies
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Includes LRG estimates for Cox and Bright House Networks, and Suddenlink in 4Q 2015
^ LRG estimate, does not include wireless subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Net additions reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions, and reporting adjustments
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 94% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer surveys with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2016. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.