NEARLY 1.2 MILLION ADDED BROADBAND IN THE FIRST QUARTER OF 2015
Cable Companies Added Over One Million Broadband Subscribers in the Quarter
Durham, NH -- May 15, 2015 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 94% of the market -- acquired nearly 1.2 million net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in the first quarter of 2015. These top broadband providers now account for over 88.5 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having about 53 million broadband subscribers, and top telephone companies having over 35.5 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 1Q 2015 were similar to those in 1Q 2014
- The top cable companies accounted for 86% of the net broadband additions for the quarter versus the top telephone companies
- The top cable companies added over 1,000,000 broadband subscribers in 1Q 2015, representing 104% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 1Q 2014
- The top telephone companies added about 160,000 subscribers, 81% of the total net additions for the top telephone companies in 1Q 2014
- AT&T and Verizon added 573,000 subscribers via U-verse and FiOS in 1Q 2015, while having a net loss of 463,000 DSL subscribers. U-verse and FiOS broadband subscribers now account for 54% of Telco broadband subscribers -- compared to 40% two years ago
- The top cable broadband providers now have a 60% share of the market versus Telcos for the first time since 2Q 2005
- Over the past year, there were about 3,000,000 net broadband adds -- compared to about 2,700,000 over the prior year
"Cable companies had another strong quarter for broadband in 1Q 2015, adding over 1,000,000 subscribers in the quarter. This was the first quarter with over a million net broadband adds for cable since 1Q 2008," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Cable also accounted for 90% of the 3,000,000 broadband additions over the past year, growing their market share versus Telcos back to 60% for the first time in nearly a decade."
||Subscribers at End
of 1Q 2015
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Cable Companies*
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telephone Companies
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Includes LRG estimates for Cox and Bright House Networks
^ LRG estimate, does not include wireless subscribers
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 94% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2015. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.