NEARLY 1.1 MILLION ADDED BROADBAND IN 1Q 2016
Cable Companies Added Over One Million Broadband Subscribers Again in the Quarter
Durham, NH -- May 16, 2016 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 95% of the market -- acquired nearly 1.1 million net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 1Q 2016. These top broadband providers now account for over 91.5 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having 56.3 million broadband subscribers, and top phone companies having 35.2 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 1Q 2016 were 92% of those in 1Q 2015
- The top cable companies accounted for 99% of the net broadband additions for the quarter versus the top phone companies
- The top cable companies added about 1,065,000 broadband subscribers in 1Q 2016 -- 106% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 1Q 2015
- The top phone companies added about 10,000 broadband subscribers in 1Q 2016 -- compared to a gain of 160,000 in 1Q 2015
- AT&T and Verizon added 300,000 subscribers via U-verse and FiOS in 1Q 2016, while having a net loss of 324,000 DSL subscribers
- Over the past year, there were about 3,030,000 net broadband adds -- similar to about 3,000,000 over the prior year
"Cable companies had another strong quarter for broadband in 1Q 2016, adding over one million subscribers in the quarter. This marks the third time in the past five quarters that cable companies have added over a million net broadband subscribers," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Broadband in the US continues to grow, with cable providers accounting for 111% of the three million net broadband additions over the past year."
||Subscribers at End
of 1Q 2016
|Net Adds in
|Time Warner Cable
|Other Major Private Cable Companies*
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Phone Companies
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Includes LRG estimates for Cox and Bright House Networks
^ LRG estimate, does not include wireless subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households, and reporting adjustments
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 95% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2016. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.