Durham, NH -- July 20, 2016 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) finds that 59% of all US households have a subscription video on-Demand (SVOD) service from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu -- up from 47% in 2014.
SVOD services are particularly popular among non-subscribers to a pay-TV service. Seventy percent of all non-subscribers with a TV have an SVOD service (including 82% with a broadband Internet service at home) -- compared to 57% of pay-TV subscribers.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,209 households nationwide and are part of a new LRG study, Emerging Video Services X. This is LRG's tenth annual study on this topic.
Other related findings include:
- Among those who have an SVOD service, 47% have more than one service
- 19% with Netflix agree that their Netflix subscription is shared with others outside their household
- 49% of adults stream an SVOD service at least monthly -- up from 41% in 2014
- 73% of ages 18-34 stream an SVOD service monthly -- compared to 53% of ages 35-54, and 24% of ages 55+
- On a daily basis, 41% of adults watch video on non-TV devices (including home computers, mobile phones, iPads, tablets, and eReaders), and 62% weekly -- up from 27% daily, and 53% weekly three years ago
"SVOD services are in the majority of US households, and along with video to non-TV devices, have become core components in allowing pay-TV non-subscribers to cobble together a variety of viewing options," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "On a daily basis, 49% of all non-subscribers with a TV stream an SVOD service, compared to 19% of pay-TV subscribers."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Emerging Video Services X is based on a survey of 1,209 adults age 18+ throughout the continental US. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The telephone survey (including landline and cell phone calls) was conducted in May-June 2016. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.8%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).