ABOUT 190,000 ADDED BROADBAND IN 2Q 2016
Top Broadband Providers Had Fewer Net Adds in 2Q 2016 Than in any Quarter in Years
Durham, NH -- August 16, 2016 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the fourteen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 95% of the market -- acquired about 190,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 2Q 2016. These top broadband providers now account for 91.9 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having 57.0 million broadband subscribers, and top phone companies having 34.9 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 2Q 2016 were less than in any quarter in the past fifteen years (since LRG began tracking the industry)
- The past seven second quarters account for the seven fewest quarterly broadband net adds over past fifteen years
- The top cable companies added about 550,000 subscribers in 2Q 2016 -- 139% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 2Q 2015
- Cable broadband net adds were the most in any second quarter since 2008
- The top phone companies lost about 360,000 broadband subscribers in 2Q 2016 -- compared to a loss of about 150,000 in 2Q 2015
- Telco providers have had net broadband losses in four of the past five quarters
- Over the past year, there were about 3,025,000 total net broadband adds -- compared to about 2,970,000 over the prior year
"While Telcos lost more broadband subscribers in 2Q 2016 than in any previous quarter, cable companies added over 550,000 subscribers in the traditionally weak second quarter," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Over the past year, cable companies have added about 3.5 million broadband subscribers, while Telcos have had net losses of about 500,000 broadband subscribers."
||Subscribers at End
of 2Q 2016
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Company***
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Phone Companies
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Charter completed the acquisition of Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks in 2Q 2016
** Altice includes Cablevision (acquisition completed in 2Q 2016) and Suddenlink
*** Includes LRG estimate for Cox
^ Frontier is an LRG estimate (following the Verizon transaction completed in 2Q 2016) and does not include wireless subs
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households, and reporting adjustments
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 95% of all subscribers
Net additions reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions, and reporting adjustments -- therefore, comparing totals in this release to prior releases may not produce accurate findings
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2016. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.