About 295,000 Add Broadband in the Second Quarter of 2013
Telcos Cumulatively Report Slight Broadband Losses in the Quarter
Durham, NH August 20, 2013 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 93% of the market -- acquired about 295,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in the second quarter of 2013. These top broadband providers now account for over 82.7 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having over 47.8 million broadband subscribers, and top telephone companies having nearly 34.9 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 2Q 2013 amounted to 116% of those in 2Q 2012
- The top cable companies added about 296,000 subscribers, representing 91% as many additions as in 2Q 2012
- The top telephone companies lost about 2,000 subscribers -- compared to a loss of about 73,000 in 2Q 2012
- AT&T and Verizon added 802,000 fiber subscribers in the quarter (via U-verse and FiOS), while having a net loss of 818,000 DSL subscribers
- AT&T has reported net broadband losses in six of the past nine quarters
- The top cable broadband providers have a 58% share of the overall market, with about 13 million more subscribers than the top telephone companies -- compared to 11.2 million more a year ago
"The second quarter of the year is traditionally the slowest quarter of the year for broadband additions, and this year was no exception. For the third time in the past four years, Telcos cumulatively reported small net broadband losses in the second quarter," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Over the past year, cable companies have accounted for 85% of the 2,600,000 net broadband additions."
||Subscribers at End of 2Q 2013
||Net Adds in 2Q 2013
|Other Major Private Cable Companies**
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telephone Companies
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Cablevision includes estimate for former Bresnan properties sold to Charter on 7/1/2013
** Includes LRG estimates for Cox, Bright House Networks, and RCN
Cable totals do not include WOW with 709,000 subscribers
^ CenturyLink slightly adjusted totals from prior quarters
^^ LRG estimate, does not include wireless subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 93% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2013. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.
Site designed and maintained by