DVRs Now in Over One-Third of U.S. Households
On-Demand TV Services Continue to Complement Traditional TV Viewing
Durham, NH -- September 10, 2009 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 36% of TV households in the United States have at least one Digital Video Recorder (DVR) -- an increase from just 8% four years ago.
In addition, 63% of all digital cable subscribers have ever used Video on-Demand (VOD), with 88% of this group having watched an on-Demand program or movie in the past month. Overall, about twice as many cable subscribers have used VOD as four years ago.
Other related findings include:
- 65% of DVR owners, and 54% of digital cable VOD users, agree (8-10 on a 10 point scale) that they usually watch recorded DVR or on-Demand programs when there is nothing on regularly scheduled TV that they want to watch
- In households that have both a DVR and are VOD users, 57% start by watching live TV -- in households that just have a DVR, 68% start with live TV
- 44% of DVR owners record five or fewer programs per week
- 85% would recommend their DVR service to a friend (8-10), and 77% highly rate their DVR (8-10)
- 68% of VOD users who also have a DVR agree (8-10) that their TV service is better because they have both services
These findings are based on a telephone survey of 1,300 households from throughout the United States and are part of a new LRG study, On-Demand TV 2009: A Nationwide Study on VOD and DVRs. This is LRG's eighth annual study on this topic.
"Driven by cable, DBS, and Telco video providers pushing DVRs into the home as part of a combined HD/DVR set-top box, LRG estimates that DVRs will be in about 71 million households at the end of 2013 -- double the number of households with DVRs at the end of 2008," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "LRG forecasts that DVR and VOD's share of total TV viewing time in the US will increase from about 8% today to 18% at the end of 2013."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
On-Demand TV 2009: A Nationwide Study on VOD and DVRs is based on a telephone survey of 1,300 adults age 18+ from throughout the continental US in households with a TV set. The survey was conducted in July 2009. The random sample of respondents was distributed to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.7%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).