DVRs Now in 40% of U.S. TV Households
Over Half of Digital Cable Subscribers use VOD Monthly
Durham, NH -- September 27, 2010 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 40% of TV households in the United States have at least one Digital Video Recorder (DVR) -- an increase from just 8% five years ago.
In addition, 64% of all digital cable subscribers have ever used Video on-Demand (VOD), with 83% of this group having watched an on-Demand program or movie in the past month. Overall, 52% of digital cable subscribers used on-Demand in the past month. Five years ago, 50% of digital cable subscribers had ever used VOD.
Other related findings include:
- 34% of DVR users have more than one DVR
- The mean household income of DVR users is 34% above non-DVR users
- The mean household income of cable VOD users is 10% above average
- Netflix subscribers have a mean annual household income 24% above average
- 87% of Netflix households subscribe to a multi-channel video service, and 34% subscribe to a premium service -- similar to all households in the sample, and similar to Netflix households last year
- 60% of Netflix subscribers used the Watch Instantly feature in the past month
- 2% of all households use Netflix's Watch Instantly feature daily, and an additional 6% use it weekly
These findings are based on a telephone survey of 1,300 households from throughout the United States and are part of LRG's study, On-Demand TV 2010: A Nationwide Study on VOD and DVRs. This is LRG's ninth annual study on this topic.
"DVR and VOD users have significantly increased over the past five years, yet over 90% of all TV viewing in the US is still of live TV," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "LRG forecasts that DVR and VOD's share of total TV viewing time in the US will increase from less than 10% today to about 22% by the end of 2015."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
On-Demand TV 2010: A Nationwide Study on VOD and DVRs is based on a telephone survey of 1,300 adults age 18+ from throughout the continental US in households with a TV set. The survey was conducted in July-August 2010. The random sample of respondents was distributed to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.7%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).