Over 40 Million Subscribe to Broadband Internet in the U.S.
The Third Quarter of 2005 was Another Record Quarter for Broadband
Durham, NH � November 11, 2005 � Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the twenty largest cable and DSL providers in the US � representing about 94% of the market � acquired a record 2.6 million net additional subscribers in the third quarter of 2005. The top broadband providers now account for over 40.2 million high-speed Internet subscribers � with cable having over 23.2 million broadband subscribers, and DSL having 17.0 million subscribers.
Other key findings for the quarter include:
- The top DSL providers added a record 1.42 million subscribers, representing 54% of the net broadband additions for the quarter versus cable, which added 1.2 million subscribers
- Net adds in the quarter for DSL were 379,000 more than 3Q 2004
- Net adds in the quarter for cable were about 80,000 fewer than the record set by cable providers in 3Q 2004
- In the past year, DSL providers added 520,000 more subscribers than cable, but the top cable broadband providers maintain a 6.2 million subscriber advantage over DSL and have a 58% share of the US residential broadband market
�As evidenced by the results of the third quarter, speculation of the decline of broadband in the US was greatly exaggerated,� said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. �Aggressive offers from DSL providers continue to expand the market, even as cable operators are able to add subscribers in similar numbers to a year ago, while maintaining average broadband revenue per subscriber of over $40 per month.�
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
|Broadband Internet Provider
||Subscribers at End of 3Q 2005
||Net Adds in 3Q 2005
|Bright House Networks*
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top DSL
* Cox and Bright House Networks totals are estimates
**Total includes Fios wireline broadband connections along with DSL
Top cable and DSL providers represent approximately 94% of all subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households.
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
� Copyright 2005. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.
Site designed and maintained by