ABOUT 380,000 ADDED BROADBAND IN 3Q 2017
94.5 Million Get Broadband from Top Cable and Telephone Companies
Durham, NH -- November 16, 2017 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the fourteen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 95% of the market -- acquired about 380,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 3Q 2017.
These top broadband providers now account for over 94.5 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having 60.4 million broadband subscribers, and top telephone companies having 34.1 million subscribers.
Findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 3Q 2017 were 61% of those in 3Q 2016
- The top cable companies added about 540,000 subscribers in 3Q 2017 -- 69% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 3Q 2016
- The top telephone companies lost about 155,000 subscribers in 3Q 2017 -- similar to the loss of about 150,000 broadband subscribers in 3Q 2016
- Telcos have had combined net broadband losses in each of the past six quarters
- In the first three quarters of 2017, cable companies added about 2,000,000 broadband subscribers, while Telcos lost about 430,000 subscribers
"Major providers now account for over 94.5 million broadband subscribers in the US, yet the broadband market is still expanding with cable providers continuing to drive the growth," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Over the past year, cable companies added about than 2.86 million broadband subscribers, accounting for 124% of the 2.3 million net broadband additions."
||Subscribers at End
of 3Q 2017
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Company**
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telco
|Total Top Broadband
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Cable ONE does not include the NewWave acquisition in 2Q 2017
** Includes LRG estimate for Cox
^ FairPoint was acquired by Consolidated Communications in 3Q 2017, reported connects acquired
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Company subscriber counts may not solely represent residential households
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 95% of all subscribers
Net additions reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions, and reporting adjustments -- therefore, comparing totals in this release to prior releases may not produce accurate findings
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2017. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.