ABOUT 645,000 ADD BROADBAND IN THE THIRD QUARTER OF 2015
89.5 Million Get Broadband from Top Cable and Telephone Companies
Durham, NH -- November 17, 2015 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 94% of the market -- acquired about 645,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in the third quarter of 2015. These top broadband providers now account for 89.5 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having nearly 54.3 million broadband subscribers, and top telephone companies having over 35.2 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 3Q 2015 amounted to 92% of those in 3Q 2014
- The top cable companies added about 790,000 broadband subscribers in 3Q 2015, representing 134% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 3Q 2014
- The top telephone companies lost about 140,000 broadband subscribers in 3Q 2015 -- compared to a gain of about 110,000 in 3Q 2014
- AT&T and Verizon added 305,000 subscribers via U-verse and FiOS in 3Q 2015, while having a net loss of 432,000 DSL subscribers
- In the first three quarters of 2015, cable companies added about 2,300,000 broadband subscribers, while Telcos lost about 130,000 subscribers
"While major providers now account for nearly 90 million broadband subscribers in the US, top cable providers added subscribers at a faster pace over the past year than they did over the prior year," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Over the past year, cable companies accounted for 103% of the 2.93 million net broadband additions."
||Subscribers at End
of 3Q 2015
|Net Adds in
|Time Warner Cable
|Other Major Private Cable Companies**
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telephone Companies
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Includes LRG estimates for Cox and Bright House Networks
^ LRG estimate, does not include wireless subscribers
^^ FairPoint slightly adjusted subscriber counts from prior reporting
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 94% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2015. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.