OVER 635,000 ADD BROADBAND IN THE THIRD QUARTER OF 2011
77.8 Million Get Broadband from Top Cable and Telephone Companies
Durham, NH November 18, 2011 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the eighteen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 93% of the market -- acquired about 635,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in the third quarter of 2011. These top broadband providers now account for over 77.8 million subscribers -- with cable companies having 43.6 million broadband subscribers, and telephone companies having 34.2 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings for the quarter include:
- The top cable companies added over 525,000 subscribers, representing 83% of the net broadband additions for the quarter versus the top telephone companies
- Overall, broadband additions in 3Q 2011 amounted to 77% of those in 3Q 2010 -- with cable having 98% as many additions as a year ago, and Telcos 38% as many additions as a year ago
- Comcast added 261,000 broadband subscribers in the quarter -- 41% of the total for the top providers
- AT&T and Verizon added 642,000 fiber subscribers in the quarter (via U-verse and FiOS), while having a net loss of 619,000 DSL subscribers
- The top cable broadband providers have a 56% share of the overall market, with nearly a 9.5 million subscriber advantage over the top telephone companies -- compared to 8.2 million a year ago
"Following the traditionally weak second quarter, the broadband market rebounded with over 635,000 net additional broadband customers in 3Q 2011," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Over the first three quarters of 2011, the top broadband providers added nearly 2.3 million subscribers, compared to 2.6 million subscribers added in the first three quarters of 2010."
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
|Broadband Internet Provider
||Subscribers at End of 3Q 2011
||Net Adds in 3Q 2011
|Other Major Private Cable Companies**
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telephone Companies
* LRG estimate
** Includes LRG estimates for Bright House Networks, and RCN
^ Includes non-residential subscribers
^^ LRG estimate does not include wireless subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 93% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2011. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.
Site designed and maintained by