THE MAJORITY OF U.S. HOUSEHOLDS NOW OWN AN HDTV SET
Interest in 3D TV is Modest
Durham, NH -- December 22, 2010 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 61% of households in the United States have at least one high definition television (HDTV) set, and about 26% have multiple HDTVs. Comparatively, in 2005, 12% of US households had at least one HDTV, and 1% had more than one HDTV.
While less than 1% of all US households currently have an HDTV set that is 3D-capable, nearly 80% of adults in the US have heard of 3D TV. Of those who have heard of 3D TV, 8% are very interested in getting a 3D TV.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,308 households throughout the United States, and are part of a new LRG study, HDTV and 3D TV 2010. This is LRG's eighth annual study related to HDTV.
Other findings include:
- 60% of HDTV owners report spending under $1,000 on their HDTV set – compared to 48% last year, and 34% two years ago
- 39% of HDTV owners say that they were told how to receive HD programming when they purchased their set
- The mean annual household income of those very interested in getting a 3D TV is 18% below the mean of the sample
- 24% of all adults have seen 3D TV
- 24% of those who have seen 3D TV rate it an 8-10 (with 10 being excellent), while 32% rate it 1-3 (with 1 being poor)
- 21% of all households purchased a new TV set in the past 12 months, and 18% of all households plan to purchase a new TV set in the next 12 months
"HDTV has rapidly grown in the US. In just the past five years, nearly half of all US households have adopted HDTV," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "With modest consumer demand for 3D-capable TVs, the potential growth of 3D TV will rely on a continued ‘push’ of 3D TV by manufacturers and retailers, as well as the fact that about one-fifth of all US households purchase a new TV each year."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
HDTV and 3D TV 2010 is based on a telephone survey of 1,308 adults age 18+ from throughout the continental US that was conducted in November 2010. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.7%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).